Saturday, August 13, 2011

Return of the MAN FROM ATLANTIS

Back in the 1970s, there was this really cool show called MAN FROM ATLANTIS, Patrick Duffy was the hero of the story, a fish out of water, possilby the last citizen of ATLANTIS, he had webbed hands and feet and could swim at great depths.  What was just as cool was the submarine, THE CETACEAN, it had 4 bathyspheres and could reach uncharted depths, during MFA's first adventure, he thrawted an evil scientist and captured his incredible craft.  I have never seen clear pictures of it and I decided to make a JOEVERSE toy out of one of my childhood dreams.

THE CETACEAN--original film model 








My CETACEAN will be posted shortly.

My CETACEAN build was made by using things that I commonly see and can acquire at low cost.  My trip to the local PetSmart garnered the 12 inch plastic hamster spheres and you could open them at the top/bottom (easy access for lighting and what nots) but they have slits on the side, but no worries, black painters tape hides that pretty well. My sub is about 5 feet tall, with 5 inch plastic tubing in between each sphere and an engine mount for the back end.   I want to try making a USS DISCOVERY with the same materials but that is for another time. My goal was to make this action figure friendly but guess that is not the case so far but Im working on it. 

1 comment: